I don’t know how many times I’ve found something great on Pinterest and then wondered why I didn’t think of doing that myself. Once again it’s happened…Bev from BevCooks introduced me to the idea of roasting corn under the broiler. As soon as I saw this pin I thought of one of my favorite summer salads and wondered if it would work for this as well.
Every summer I look forward to finally being able to light up the grill, grill some corn and make this delicious salad. It’s so simple and easy to make and tastes incredibly refreshing. So, naturally, as soon as I saw this pin I immediately went to work and broiled some corn…and it worked. The salad was absolutely delicious (although, I must say, it definitely tastes best when using corn straight off of the grill). But this option is the perfect substitute when it is still snowing outside in March (yeah, that’s right, we STILL have snow) and you just want a little taste of summer.
I ended up using canned corn because that is all I had on hand, but I imagine frozen would roast even better and get a little crispier. Once I’ve tried it out I will report back (*here now finally my report back: frozen definitely turned out better than canned, although both work just fine)…and now I’m going to grab myself a bowl of salad, crank up the heat and some Bob Marley, and wait for summer to come; or at least for it to stop snowing and temperatures to rise above freezing.
- 4 ears/10 oz/285 g of corn, fresh, frozen or canned
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Grill 4 shucked ears of corn, rotating often, until lightly charred. Let cool slightly and carefully cut kernels from cob.
- If using frozen or canned, toss with some olive oil, salt and pepper, place on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and broil for 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Toss corn, avocado and cilantro gently in a bowl.
- Add lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste and toss again.