So, I found this recipe a while ago and have been reluctant to try it out. I just don’t see capers and kids going well together. It could be, that I think this because I myself am not a huge fan of capers and rarely cook with them. Regardless, I just couldn’t picture Arik liking this fish dish. I totally have you guys sold on this recipe now, huh? Just hear me out, ok?
Finally, when my parents were visiting and I was running out of meal ideas, I decided to give this one a chance. I am so happy I tried it out because everyone, including myself and Arik, really liked it. To top it off, it’s incredibly easy and quick to prepare. All you have to do is chop up your tomatoes, capers, and basil (I was feeling lazy and used frozen basil, so I didn’t even have to do this step), mix together your butter and top your fish with all the goodies. Grate some parmesan cheese over it all and stick it in the oven. Done!
Here’s the proof, that my child does, in fact, like capers. 🙂 As you can see, the plate is empty and this is after his seconds. This recipe is definitely a keeper in our family!
- 4-5 small filets/500g/17oz. of cod or any white fish you prefer
- ½ bundle of basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened, plus some for the baking dish
- 1 tablespoon concentrated tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped finely
- 4 small tomatoes on the vine, chopped
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- Wash and pat dry the fish filets and remove any bones. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 390℉/200℃.
- Mix all but 1 tablespoon of the basil with butter, capers, tomato paste and some pepper until smooth.
- Place the filets in a greased baking dish and spread the caper butter on top.
- Top the buttered filets with chopped tomatoes, left-over basil, and parmesan cheese.
- Bake for about 25 minutes until fish flakes easily.