Fall has definitely arrived here in Berlin and although I am not a big fan of being cold, I do look forward to hot chocolates, the coziness of being at home, and of course, home-made soups. Recently, Arik and I got home from a long and cold afternoon at the playground and I wanted nothing more than a hot bowl of soup. It was already pretty late and I had few ingredients so I made this creamy tomato soup in about 10 minutes. Best decision I have ever made.
This soup was exactly what we needed that night. So easy and quick to prepare, yet much healthier and tastier than a opening up a can of soup. I have tried making this with honey in place of sugar and personally found the taste to be better when sugar was used, but I will leave what sweetener you use up to you. We had this soup with some grilled cheese roll-ups…more on that, next week.
- 14oz./400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½cup/120ml vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche
- fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Combine tomatoes, sugar, and broth in a medium saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, turn down heat, and simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
- Blend (I use a hand-held blender) soup until fine.
- Stir in creme fraiche and salt and pepper to taste before serving.
- If desired, top with some chopped fresh basil leaves.