All I want to do in this cold weather is stay at home and eat soup! Preferably a nice filling soup that can classify as a meal. This tortellini soup is exactly that!
I used tortellini filled with parma ham and cheese because I wanted some meat in the soup, but I think next time I will use whatever mini tortellini I can find. Arik had some problems eating the normal-sized tortellinis so I had to cut all of them into smaller chunks, which I think could be avoided when using the minis. I served the soup with some oven-roasted cauliflower on the side, which is my new favorite side dish because it is so easy and tasty too. Whether it’s cold or not wherever you are, you should definitely try out this soup…it’s so easy to make and the perfect comfort food for your little ones.
- 1 large clove of garlic, pressed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 14oz./400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup/240ml milk
- ½ cup/120ml cream
- 2 cups/500ml vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon basil, dried
- ½ teaspoon oregano, dried
- ¼ teaspoon thyme, dried
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 9oz./250g package fresh tortellini, I used some filled with Parma ham and ricotta
- shredded parmesan cheese for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat and saute garlic for 30 seconds or until golden brown.
- Add canned and sun-dried tomatoes, milk, broth and seasoning.
- Bring to a simmer and add tortellini. Cook according to package instructions.
- After tortellini are cooked, ladle soup into bowls and top with parmesan cheese.
Adapted from Key Ingredient