Initially my plan for this week’s post was a recipe for the grill, since my parents got us the awesome gift of a barbecue. I ordered it online about 2 weeks ago while they were visiting and am STILL waiting for it to arrive. So, you guys will have to wait for the planned chicken skewer recipe and instead, settle for this yummy fried rice.
This is Arik’s favorite way to eat rice and to be honest, it’s mine as well. I tend to just make a big batch of brown rice at the beginning of the week and use if for various things, including this recipe. You can use whatever veggies your kids prefer or what you happen to have on hand. If there are toddlers eating this, then be sure to chop up the vegetables quite small (especially the carrots) and make sure they are soft before serving. I usually serve this with this sweet broiled salmon, but if you want to make this a main course you could add some grilled chicken breast or even some shrimp on top.
Well, keep your fingers crossed that this grill arrives soon so I can get to barbecuing before this summer is over!
- Butter for frying
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 clove of garlic, pressed
- 1 teaspoon ginger, chopped finely
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 2-3 scallions, sliced thinly
- ½ cup or a few handfuls frozen peas
- 1½ cups/250g cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Melt some butter in a large pan and cook the beaten eggs until done. Make sure to chop them up into smaller chunks.
- Remove the eggs and set aside.
- Melt some more butter in the pan and add garlic and ginger. Saute for about 30 seconds.
- Add chopped carrots and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add scallions and peas and saute for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add rice, egg, soy sauce and sesame oil and combine well. Allow to cook for another 2-3 minutes and serve.