Our barbecue has finally arrived!! So, of course, we have been doing a lot of grilling. See, while my parents were here visiting we only barbecued once and that was already one time too many for my mother. I had given my dad the job of starting up the coals and about 90 minutes later they were ready to go. My dad said it was the coal’s fault, my mom said it was the grill master’s fault, and I just kept my mouth shut. So, when were clearing off the table after dinner (about 10pm at this point) my mom came to a conclusion, “We’re going to have to buy you guys a gas grill.” “Ummm, okay.”
And finally after 2 weeks their lovely gift has arrived and we haven’t stopped barbecuing since. The first item on my to-grill list were these hawaiian chicken skewers. We had these along with this grilled corn and avocado salad and baguette and it all ended up being so delicious. Unfortunately, my parents have already gone back home and didn’t get to reap the benefits of their gift to us. I am hoping the weather will be just as nice for their visit next summer and then we will be able to catch up on all of the grilling we missed out on this summer. And I will even volunteer to be the grill starter so that Grandpa doesn’t get in trouble again.
- 1 lb./500g skinless chicken thighs or breasts (the thighs will stay more moist)
- ½ cup/120ml soy sauce
- ½ cup/120ml coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (1 in./2.5cm) chunk of ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 (7oz./200g) can pineapple chunks, drained (preserve ½cup/120ml juice)
- ½ bell pepper, cut into chunks
- ½ purple onion, cut into chunks
- Trim the chicken of any visible fat and cut into chunks about 1 in/2.5 cm big.
- Mix the remaining ingredients, except for pineapple chunks, bell pepper and onion in a large bowl.
- Add the chicken chunks and allow to marinate for at least 4 hours, but best would be overnight.
- An hour before grilling, soak the wooden skewers in water to assure they won't catch on fire.
- Alternate the chicken chunks, pineapple, bell pepper and onion on each skewer.
- Grill the skewers at medium-low heat so that the marinade does not burn. Turn once after 5-7 minutes.