This is one of our favorite meals because it is so flexible and easy for Arik to eat by himself. You can toss in just about any vegetables you want. I’ve been going with red bell pepper, zucchini and mushrooms since that seems to be the favorite right now, but just about anything will work (ie asparagus, peas, corn, green beans, eggplant, etc.) As far as the broth goes, you can go with chicken or vegetable.
I hope your kiddies will like this one as much as mine does!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped garlic clove
- 2 chicken breasts, cut to a size your baby can handle
- 3¼ cups or 900 mL chicken or vegetable broth
- Vegetables of your choosing (I used 1 zucchini and 1 red bell pepper)
- 1½ cups or 300 grams risotto rice
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan. When the butter is melted add the onion and garlic, and fry until soft. Add the chicken and fry until the outside is white.
- Meanwhile, put the broth on to heat in a separate pan.
- Add the vegetables to the chicken, and fry gently for 3-4 minutes or until they start to soften.
- Add the rice and stir to make sure all of the grains are covered in oil/butter (add a little more oil or butter if necessary).
- Add the hot broth to the rice mixture, a ladle-ful at a time, stirring constantly, until each ladle-ful is absorbed. Simmer gently. Continue adding broth (you may not need to use all of it) stirring until the rice is plump but still has a "bite." The overall consistency should be creamy when done (this will take about 20 to 25 minutes).
- Take the pan off the heat, stir in the Parmesan cheese and black pepper, and serve.