So apparently last week was National Grilled Cheese Day in the states and I missed it. How humiliating! To make up for this mistake I decided to make us some grilled cheesies this week. But not just any grilled cheese, no, a turkey and gouda grilled cheese topped with some tart apple slices. Sooo good!
After making our sandwiches, I realized that this was Arik’s very first grilled cheese ever and right after eating it, he wanted his very first second grilled cheese ever. Go figure. For the cheese I used a mild gouda and the apple was a pink lady. These are nice and tart and paired perfectly with the melted gouda. Along with the sandwiches I made a roasted tomato soup, which according to Arik, who chose to have about 3 spoonfuls, paled in comparison to the grilled cheese. Oh well, more soup for me!
- 2 slices of whole wheat bread
- 1 slice of turkey
- 1-2 slices of cheese (we used Gouda)
- a few slices of your favorite kind of apple (we used pink lady)
- Heat a pan over medium heat.
- Spread some butter on one side of each of the bread slices.
- Put one bread slice in the pan buttered side down, top it with the turkey, cheese and apple slices, and cover it with the other slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Once the cheese begins to melt and the bread turns golden brown, flip the sandwich and allow the other side to brown.