If you’re a regular here, then you probably noticed that it was bit quiet around here last week. It’s definitely not because I’m out of recipe ideas; quite the contrary, I have too many ideas floating around in my head that I often can’t decide on which recipe to write about. No no, this lack of posting was due to a long flight and a little boy. That little boy, was of course, my little boy, and that long flight was a 13 hour flight from Seattle (our homeland) back to Berlin. It wasn’t so much the actual flight, but the time thereafter. You see, we visited home for a few weeks to see family and friends and really had a great time, but when we returned to Berlin, Arik didn’t seem to want to adapt back to our time zone. Turns out, toddlers and jet lag are not a pretty combo!
He decided to stay up the majority of the night and then sleep until about 3 pm during the day. I couldn’t really do much about it, since I would also end up sleeping during the day because I was just so tired from being up all night…go figure. Every day I was able to gain 1 or 2 hours back so in total it took about a week to get back on track. After numerous long nights I just couldn’t bring myself to cook and write and I was lacking daylight in order to photograph. Now that we are finally back to our normal routine, the very first thing I needed were some homemade cookies…
Not just any old cookie though, no, after a week of eating pizza and easy pasta dishes, I needed a cookie with some substance. So I went with these oatmeal cookies with dried berries and, of course, some white chocolate. You can use any kind of dried berry and chocolate chips that you prefer. I ended up using a mixture of cranberries, cherries, and blueberries. The original recipe calls for strawberries, which I think would be really good, but unfortunately I couldn’t find them anywhere. Next on my list to try is cherries with dark chocolate chips. YUM! As you can see, just about anything will work so let your creative juices flow and get to bakin’!
On a side note, I would really appreciate it if you guys could head over to Circle of Moms and give me a vote in the top 25 foodie mom competition. You can vote once per day until June 4th and since I was entered a little late I could use all of the votes I can get! To vote, just click on this link, scroll down (a lot), and you will find me somewhere near the bottom. Thank you all!!
- ¾ cup/105g all-purpose flour
- 1 cup/80g regular oats
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup/75g packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup/55g butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup/75 dried berries of choice, chopped if they are larger
- ½ cup/75g white chocolate chunks
- Preheat the oven to 350℉/175℃.
- In a medium bowl mix flour, oats, baking soda and salt together with a whisk.
- Put sugar and butter in a large bowl and beat on medium high speed until well-blended (about 3 minutes).
- Add vanilla and egg and beat well.
- Gradually stir in (by hand) the flour mixture, adding a little at a time.
- Once blended, add berries and chocolate chunks, and stir until combined.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and drop dough balls about 2 in/5 cm apart.
- Bake in the oven for 8-11 minutes or until lightly browned on the edges.
- Remove cookies from oven, let cool for 5 minute on tray and then place on wire rack to cool completely.