I must admit, Arik is pretty deprived of sugar. The good news though, is that he doesn’t know any better and in turn, doesn’t mind. 🙂 Because of this lack of sugar in his regular diet, he gets to go to town when it’s a holiday or a special occasion. And this Valentine’s Day is no exception.
These Chocolate Yogurt Cupcakes are incredibly light and fluffy especially when eaten still slightly warm. The original recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar, which I, of course, as a mother of a sugar-deprived child, 😉 found to be too much. I decreased the amount to 3/4 cup and thought they were still a little too sweet, but my sane husband said the sweetness was perfect and I’m thinking he’s probably right. I hate it when that happens…
I imagine these cupcakes would taste great with just about any kind of frosting, but since I am not a huge frosting fan, I decided to use this Oreo Cream instead. It’s really quick and easy to make and I found it to taste best after a few hours in the refrigerator when the cookies got nice and soft. So that I wouldn’t have to store the cupcakes in the refrigerator, we ended up just frosting as many as we wanted to eat at a time and then putting the cream back in the fridge and keeping the cupcakes in a tupperware on the counter. This way the cupcakes stayed soft and the cream fresh. Happy Valentine’s Day and here’s to lots of love and many treats for you all!!
- 4 oz./113g bitter-sweet chocolate (I used 80%), chopped
- ¾ cup/170g butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup/150g brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, room temperature and lightly beaten
- ⅔ cup/150g Greek yogurt
- 1¼ cup/150g flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 16 Oreo cookies, crushed finely
- 2 cups/450ml whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375℉/175℃ and line 16 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Melt the chopped chocolate in the microwave using low heat.
- In a medium bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and gradually add the beaten egg continuing to mix.
- Mix in the melted chocolate, followed by the yogurt.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the bowl and use a spatula to carefully fold into the batter.
- Fill the lined muffin cups about ⅔ full and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then remove and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Put the cream, sugar and vanilla extract in a medium bowl and whip to a soft peak.
- Fold in the crushed Oreo cookies and place in the refrigerator.
- Once the cookies have softened somewhat, spread the cream on top of the cupcakes.
Chocolate Yogurt Cupcakes recipe adapted from Roxana’s Home Baking and Oreo Cream recipe from Bakerita.