I must admit, Arik is pretty deprived of sugar. The good news though, is that he doesn’t know any better and in turn, doesn’t mind. Because of this lack of sugar in his regular diet, he gets to go to town when it’s a holiday or a special occasion. And this Valentine’s Day is no exception.
These Chocolate Yogurt Cupcakes are incredibly light and fluffy especially when eaten still slightly warm. The original recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar, which I, of course, as a mother of a sugar-deprived child, found to be too much. I decreased the amount to 3/4 cup and thought they were still a little too sweet, but my sane husband said the sweetness was perfect and I’m thinking he’s probably right. I hate it when that happens…
I imagine these cupcakes would taste great with just about any kind of frosting, but since I am not a huge frosting fan, I decided to use this Oreo Cream instead. It’s really quick and easy to make and I found it to taste best after a few hours in the refrigerator when the cookies got nice and soft. So that I wouldn’t have to store the cupcakes in the refrigerator, we ended up just frosting as many as we wanted to eat at a time and then putting the cream back in the fridge and keeping the cupcakes in a tupperware on the counter. This way the cupcakes stayed soft and the cream fresh. Happy Valentine’s Day and here’s to lots of love and many treats for you all!!
- 4 oz./113g bitter-sweet chocolate (I used 80%), chopped
- ¾ cup/170g butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup/150g brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, room temperature and lightly beaten
- ⅔ cup/150g Greek yogurt
- 1¼ cup/150g flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 16 Oreo cookies, crushed finely
- 2 cups/450ml whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375℉/175℃ and line 16 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Melt the chopped chocolate in the microwave using low heat.
- In a medium bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and gradually add the beaten egg continuing to mix.
- Mix in the melted chocolate, followed by the yogurt.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the bowl and use a spatula to carefully fold into the batter.
- Fill the lined muffin cups about ⅔ full and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then remove and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Put the cream, sugar and vanilla extract in a medium bowl and whip to a soft peak.
- Fold in the crushed Oreo cookies and place in the refrigerator.
- Once the cookies have softened somewhat, spread the cream on top of the cupcakes.