A bit of a long title, I know, but I just felt that every one of these ingredients needed to get a mention. Especially cottage cheese…I love cottage cheese! It’s low in fat, high in protein and full of healthy vitamins and minerals. And best of all, it’s delicious!
I’ve always wanted to try out cottage cheese pancakes, and when I found a recipe that included oats and bananas, I knew it would be a perfect recipe for Arik. We ate these mini pancakes topped with maple syrup, strawberries, and blueberries. Since it was only the two of us eating, some were left over, which Arik ate as an afternoon snack with no syrup or anything. I’m thinking these would be great to pre-make, freeze and then pop in the toaster in the mornings.
Once you pour the batter in the pan, you can add blueberries, chocolate chips, etc. to the pancakes. If you want to make mini pancakes as well, an easy way to do it, is to fill an empty squeeze bottle with the batter and then use that to portion out small amounts. I’ve made these both as minis, and regular sized pancakes, and Arik could have cared less what size they were, so I think from now on I will save some time and just use a tablespoon to plop some batter in the pan. If you guys are needing some more breakfast ideas for your little ones come check out my Pinterest Board, Breakfast for Kids to gather some inspiration!
- 1 cup/80g old-fashioned or quick cooking oats
- 1 banana
- 1 cup/200g cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- butter for cooking
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until batter is quite runny.
- Lightly coat a nonstick skillet or griddle with butter and heat over medium low heat.
- Drop about a tablespoon of batter onto skillet and cook until bubbles appear on top. Flip cakes and cook until golden brown on underside. Wipe skillet clean and repeat with more butter and remaining batter.
*Once the batter is on the skillet you can drop blueberries, chocolate chips, etc. onto the pancake.